Saturday, January 19, 2013

What Is Writer's Block? #3

I had a terrible time writing Tuesday's post, "Book Review: Kisses of an Enemy."  Yes, that one: the quick and easy one that almost didn't take any writing at all. Type a little intro, paste the review, a couple of links, a picture and it's done. But I spent the bulk of Monday morning struggling to write the introduction.

Photo: matiwinnetou.blogspot.com
No, I wasn't trying to make it perfect. I wasn't afraid of failure. And I knew what I wanted to say; I just had no idea how to say it.

Obviously, the post ended up being written. And, yes, I wrote it myself; I didn't get a ghostwriter. So how did I cure the block?

I took a nap.

Turns out I was too tired to be productive and too tired to realize it until I'd wasted half the day. Or maybe I was just too stubborn to admit it.

I know that for a lot of people writer's block is caused by an irrational fear of failure. This Monday, mine was caused by an irrational fear of laziness.

I have a lot to do today, so maybe I'll go lie down for a bit.



Are you a writer? Have you taken the survey yet? 

A peer-helping-peer guild is coming together focused on providing free editing advice, helping you find more readers and whatever else indie writers need. So tell them what you need. Your participation means a more focused group, one that will truly help both new indie writers and established indie authors stand out and compete. 
Here's the survey. It's free and anonymous and only ten questions long:




Survey: What Indie Writers Need


For more information: 

No comments:

Post a Comment